The Garden of Friendship - Letter Writing
by Beverly Smith
Time to water our gardens again!
One fine day, when we still lived in our second floor apartment, I waddled downstairs (I was pregnant at the time) to get the mail. I was delighted when, amidst the bills and circulars, I found a card addressed to me! It was from a very dear friend that I do not see often. The card was beautifully handmade, and inside was a handwritten note of friendship.
The fact that my friend took the time to make me a card, and write me a letter made me feel loved. This is a wonderful way to water our friendship gardens!
Here are some letter writing hints:
1. Use nice stationary, or even make your own!
2. Use proper etiquette.
3. Think about your friend while you write, reflect on how much you care for them and why.
4. Make sure you don't go on and on about yourself! Ask questions about your friend, or perhaps recall some fun experiences that you had with your friend.
5. Write with a special pen. I love the excitement of filling a crisp, blank piece of paper with bold script!
6. Hint to your friend that you would love to receive a "real" letter in return!
I close with the words of Paul to Timothy in his loving letter:
"To Timothy, a beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. I thank God, whom I serve with a pure conscience, as my forefathers did, as without ceasing, I remember you in my prayers night and day, greatly desiring to see you, being mindful of your tears, that I may be filled with joy, when I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you ... " 2Timothy 1:2-5a
©Beverly Smith, 2007
(Beverly had a blog, called "The Girl Inside," where she sought to help single girls who are teens or older to glorify Christ during these crucial years. "The Garden of Friendship" is a series she was conducting on her blog.)